Photo: Marina Baroff, MPH, FACHE, Senior Director, Service Innovation
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.stepsthrough.org
The Clearity Foundation is proud to announce that our new support program, Steps Through OC, has been selected for the 2019 AONN+ Outstanding Poster Award for Exceptional Research in Navigation in the Psychosocial Support/Assessment category. The poster, entitled Steps Through OC: Early Findings from a National Pilot to Deliver Virtual, Individualized Psychosocial Support to Ovarian Cancer Survivors and Caregivers, will be awarded at the Academy of Oncology Nurses and Patient Navigators (AONN) meeting in Nashville, TN on November 8th. For a closer look at the poster, please click here!
The selection was made based on the following criteria:
- Research Method: Strength of method used to explore an area of practice that aims to answer a question, improve outcomes, and expand the body of knowledge.
- Evidenced Based: The strength in which the study utilized current clinical evidence from systematic research.
- Practicality/Impact: The work has relevance to practice applications to improve patient navigation or navigation program outcomes.
- Organization: The abstract adheres to these guidelines, and the research is thoughtfully executed, well presented, and conclusions speak to stated objective.
- Comprehensive: Each section of the abstract is thoroughly executed.
- Conclusion: Authors’ conclusions speak to the stated objective and are based on presented data and include implications and recommendations for the navigation community.
Steps Through OC is committed to rigorous evaluation to ensure that the program is having a positive impact on and is responsive to the needs of people coping with ovarian cancer. As part of the evaluation process, Steps Through OC asks participants to complete a series of assessments when they begin the program and again about half-way through and upon completion of the program. The most recent report from the Institute of Public Health, that analyzed preliminary outcomes for a sample of Steps Through OC participants who had completed the program, revealed some statistically significant findings on sub-scales related to coping, stress and female self-advocacy. While the sample size was still small (between 50-60 participants), the data from the five standardized assessments showed some measurable benefits.
About Steps Through OC:
In November 2018, The Clearity Foundation launched Steps Through OC, a new national program created to support women and their families through the unique challenges they face following an ovarian cancer diagnosis. Steps Through OC provides six-months of free professional counseling in tandem with education, referrals and other resources for any woman facing ovarian cancer, and active caregivers.